South Hills lacrosse Board Presidents and Coaches,
In case you don't know, it is becoming clearer that Washington and Allegheny County will enter the GREEN Phase Friday, June 5th (at noon). The 79ers Board has been working diligently to create a plan that allows us to hit the field as soon as our local government allows.
When we hit the GREEN phase, the Pittsburgh 79ers Lacrosse plans to hold our first activity of the summer on Friday, June 5th at North Strabane Township Park Turf, located in Canonsburg.
We will be offering 10U, 12U, 14U, and High School age groups for local skill development and small-sided games in a league format. If we have enough interest, we will offer both 6U and 8U as well. We will stay with our original plan to "Phase-In", and will start with a mini-camp-style first week to help acclimate kids to the increased activity level. The next phase will increase the focus of the time on the field while still controlling the number in a group or half of a field, and the third phase will get into league competition, with multiple small-sided games each week. The size of the games will be largely determined by the number of participants we have, but we have models in place to accommodate up to a 7v7 format, which still allow us to stay aligned with our goal to minimize contact and exposure. All positions are welcomed, including goalies, longstick defensemen, and face-off specialists.
For those who have interest, we will also offer limited travel options for our 14U and HS teams later into the summer, and we can provide those details if requested.
To participate in the league or the travel teams:
- We will require each participant to read the Pittsburgh 79ers Lacrosse COVID-19 Wavier of Liability and Indemnification and have two parents and the player sign it. We will need the hard copy of your signed wavier in hand prior to your athlete taking the field for the first time
- As it stands today, each field will need to be managed to not exceed gatherings of 90 at games / practices
-We will have a 15-minute buffer between games / practices to allow the last group to get off and the next group to get on
- There will be designated drop-off and pick-up areas to help with our efforts to maintain social distances
- There will be no equipment sharing (including water bottles)
- There will be no team huddles and every effort will be made to practice physical distancing when not on the field playing
- Upon arrival, only players and coaches will be allowed on the field (i.e., within the fence). If parents stick around for practice, you will be required to follow CDC Guidelines for social distancing and face coverings
We please ask that you distribute this information to the members of your organization, and anyone who is interested visit our website (see below), create an account, and register under their age group.
Be on the lookout for additional communication coming this week regarding times for each age group.
Hashtags: #79ersontheroad, #79erlax
79ers Lacrosse Board of Directors